The Brothers and Sisters of St. John live by following Christ in the spirit of St. John, the Apostle. As with Mary and St. John, brothers and sisters yearn to love Jesus and learn the secrets of His heart, by immersing themselves in silent prayer, adoration and the celebration of the Eucharist, and the Liturgy of the Hours each day. Additionally, brothers and sisters study philosophical and theological works. The Community of St. John is composed of three independent parts: Brothers of St. John, Apostolic Sisters and Contemplative Sisters; as well the Oblates of St. John – lay people who have consecrated their lives to God by promising to live in the spirit of the Community of St. John and following customized monastic Rule in their lives. The Brothers of St. John first came to Lithuania in 1993.
Volunteer opportunities and participation in community life:
- Worship services on Tuesdays after the Holy Mass for youth, which takes place at 18:30 hours;
- Taizé/Mercy worship services: occur a few times a year following the Holy Mass for youth. Please check monastery website at www.joanitai.org for dates and times.
- Perpetual Eucharistic adoration – for those wanting to make a commitment to participate, contact Giedre Tarteniene during working hours at: +370 612 33 017 or Laima Matulioniene at: +370 620 84 to 494 and email@example.com after working hours;
- To join the brothers in singing the Liturgy of the Hours;
- Assistance with cleaning and organizing the church interior and surroundings;
- Those looking for housing may contact the Vilnius dormitory, which provides accommodations for male and female students.