This Church is included as part of the Way of Mercy.
From 1924 to 1946, the town of Juodsiliai was home to a monastery of the Congregation of the Ursuline Sisters of the Agonizing Heart of Jesus. The Ursuline Sisters sheltered Bl. M. Sopocko in Juodsiliai from 1942 to 1944, while he was in hiding to avoid arrest by the Nazis. He lived in the so-called “Providence” building (Mykolo Sopockos St. 16) with false documents issued in the name of Vaclovas Rodzievic. For Bl. M. Sopocko, it was a period of prayer, reflection and academic work. To avoid drawing attention to himself, he took up work as a carpenter, and residents of Juodsiliai for some time after remembered him as a good carpenter.
The Ursuline Sisters initiated the construction of a church in Juodsiliai in 1936, but work stopped due to World War II, and later a hospital was set up in that place. The current Church was built in 2007, in a part of the hospital complex that had burned down. The Church was consecrated and named for Bl. M. Sopocko in 2016.
At Juodsiliai the Ursuline Sisters also oversaw a children’s shelter and had a farm of significant size, a farming school, a medical dispensary, a dairy and a bakery with a store. The nuns worked in a secondary school. Between 1924 and 1939, the founder of the congregation, St. Ursula Ledochowska, visited Juodsiliai a number of times. After World War II, the sisters withdrew to Poland. Their life and works in Juodsiliai are memorialized by the sisters’ cemetery and by a high school in the town that is named in honor of St. Ursula Ledochowska.
Sun. – 13.00 (in Polish)
Sun. – 14.30 (in Lithuanian)